Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets

Donald Powell Period 3 Sept. 21, 2009

Dear Class,

I have just read a book called Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling. If you know her writing, all of her books are good, but this is not one of my favorites from her. The writing wasn’t bad at all, it was just the story that wasn’t the best. It seems like when the whole “ Harry Potter Gang” was younger, the stories didn’t seem like that they were full of a lot of adventure. Harry is great character because you have feelings for him like when he gets into trouble in Hogwarts or when his dreadful aunt and uncle forget his birthday. I think in this book, she (J.K.) could have focused more on using magic, instead of a whole chapter of a fight with a sword, against a giant snake.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is about a 12 year old boy named Harry Potter. He is a different kind of boy, not in a mental way, but in a “magical” way. He is a wizard in training. By summer he lives with his fowl aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, and his chubby cousin Dudley, who is a year older than him. And by school year he goes to a school of witchcraft and wizardry called Hogwarts. It is not a story of how he gets straight A’s, and has no enemies. Actually that is the exact opposite.

“You’re dead Harry Potter,” said Riddles voice above him. “Dead. Even Dumbledore’s bird knows it. Do you see what he’s doing, Potter? He’s crying.” Harry blinked. Fawke’s head slid in and out of focus. Thick, pearly tears were trickling down the glossy feathers. “ I’m going to sit here and watch you die, Harry Potter. Take your time I’m in no hurry.” Harry felt drowsy. Everything around him seemed to be spinning. “So ends the famous Harry Potter,” said Riddle’s distant voice. “Alone in the Chamber of Secrets, forsaken by his friends, defeated at last by the Dark Lord he so unwisely challenged . You’ll be back with your Mugblood mother soon, Harry…. She bought you twelve years of borrowed time…. but Lord Voldemort got you in the end, as you know he must….”

This excerpt is the best one from the book. I think this is so strong because it shows how evil one can be when they are watching someone die, and how they will just watch them without helping them. This made me want to kill the Dark Lord (Voldemort) with everything I have. When I first read this I really felt sorry for Harry and Jennie. Just to think what it would be like to feel the pain that they did. I really don’t think I have ever experienced pain like a twelve year old had to. Also when I first read this I kept thinking to myself “ J.K. can not end the series this way, she just can’t.” This is what kept me into this book and this series. This excerpt is a great way of showing how J.K. writes her books. The Dark Lord is what Harry and all the good wizards want him to stop him from killing and his loyal servants. That excerpt is a great example of how there is a twist on the ending.

I really think the theme of this is that in life you have to fight your own fights, like when he went down to the Chamber with his friend, he lost him behind a rock wall, so there for Harry would have to fight alone. This kind of kept me thinking even after I finished the book. It made me think of times of where I had to stand up for myself and not have my mom or dad do it for me. I think this is a great theme for anyone because it is the way you grow up no matter who or what you are, you have to fight your own fights and not have someone do it for you.

I read this book in about 2 weeks, no clue if that is fast or slow to other people but to me that is fast. After the first couple chapters the book starts to get good. What mainly kept me in the book was how J.K. wrote the book. It was in a way like no other because when you think someone or something is going to do something, she will shock the crowd and make it a whole different way than anyone would think. Just like almost any book the ending was a great one. She uses a really action packed, scary, thriller end fight, then she will leave you clues and things you will finally find out after all of that so it keeps you wanting to read the next book, until you finish all of them.

When I finished this book it made me want to read the rest. Like now I am reading the third book Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban By J.K. Rowling. Her style of writing is interesting because it is funny hearing word they use in UK countries like er and mum. I think this book could apply to all readers of any age. The movie was only PG and the book seemed like it was only PG. If your into a great fantasy book with a lot of action this book is for you.

Sincerely,

Donald J. Powell

1 comment:

  1. I really liked how you used a lot of parts of the book in your writting. You used words like action pacted it just stans out. I liked how you used dicriptions from your self relating to the book like when you said,"It made me think of times of where I had to stand up for myself and not have my mom or dad do it for me" I really liked your essay comment on mine

    ReplyDelete